Friday, May 27, 2011

Only Us

I spend a lot of my life thinking about "them" (the people who are different than me) and "us."

Yet whenever I meet one of "them," I am struck by how similar we are. 

Still, I find myself constantly separating the world into us and them. In fact, in the course of a typical day I'll have several thems. I could have a them who look different than I do, who believe differently, who act differently, who work at a different company, vote differently, or even cheer for a different sports team. 

Sports competitions are based on "us" and "them." And so are wars.

On Memorial Day, I'm going to try to remember how similar we are to them. Any "them" at all.

We all want the same things. We want to be happy, we want to be safe, we want to be loved.

And we want peace.

Happy Memorial Day.

Jeff

If you like this post, please forward by email, Facebook, or Twitter, using the buttons below.

No comments:

Post a Comment