Wednesday, May 11, 2011

How to Get Unstuck

Right now, I'm feeling stuck. Whichever way I turn, I don't know what to do. There's so much going on in the world, so much upheaval, and it's so unclear if it's good or bad.

I want to know what the story is.

I want to know how things are going to turn out.

I want to know if we're going to be attacked again. I want to know if my company is going to have more reorganizations.

I want to know if all of this serves some higher purpose, if there is some sense of relief or closure that will come at some point, even though my deepest sense is that this uncertainty is permanent, because uncertainty, not knowing, is the natural state of things.

I don't feel stuck often, but it's uncomfortable when I do. And there's only one thing that works for me when I do get stuck.

And that is to see that, no matter how real it feels, "being stuck" is only a thought. Being stuck is the difference between the world as it is and the world as I would like it to be. It's not getting things done, combined with the sense that I should be getting things done. It's not knowing the answer, the meaning, the end of the story, combined with the sense that I should know one or all of those things.

With everything that's happened in the last week or two, it's natural to have mixed emotions, and to feel uncomfortable about what's coming next.

The first step to getting unstuck is to see that it's just a thought. And that I don't have to believe it.

Jeff

If you like this post, please forward by email, Facebook, or Twitter, using the buttons below.

No comments:

Post a Comment