Friday, February 11, 2011

Infinity Minus One

I think there's a misunderstanding in the self-development field that causes it to be dismissed too quickly.

You'll often hear motivational speakers say "You can do anything!"

And of course, this isn't true. I'm pretty sure that, at the age of 46, I'm never going to play quarterback for the Green Bay Packers, even though I'd like to very much (after all, I'll likely be at least 55 by the time Aaron Rodgers is done).

I'm pretty sure that I will never be a center in the NBA.

I'm pretty sure that I will never be a figure skating champion.

I'm pretty sure that I will never be a Nobel Prize-winning physicist.

But I still have infinite possibilites. Every moment carries infinite possibility for what I am going to think about or dream about or do.

How's that?

I remember learning about infinity in school and one of the things that always fascinated me about it is that infinity minus one is still infinity. Infinity minus a thousand, or a million, is still infinity.

So even if you can come up with a million things that you could never do (and I might start to question that), guess what? There are still an infinite number of possibilities left!

No, you can't do anything. But there are still infinite possibilities. And all you have to do is pick the one you really really want and go for it like mad.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment