Monday, May 3, 2010

Big Rocks

One of my favorite books of all time is still Steven Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People". In that book, he talks a lot about time management, which is struggle for a lot of people, including me.

There are times when it just seems we have too much to do. Some of this relates to the promises that we make, and some of it is just the demands of life, and its inconvenient tendency to bunch things together.

One of the images that I always remember from the book is an image of a jar with a bunch of rocks, stones, pebbles, and sand in it. The most important thing you can do, according to Covey, is figure out what your big rocks are. Which things are most important to you? When you fill your jar, you have to start with the big rocks and fill in around them. If you try to fit the big rocks in later, you'll never get past all the gravel and sand.

Today, on of my big rocks is a presentation to the CEO and exective committee of my new employer. And frankly, everything else pales in comparison. Is it the biggest thing in my life? No, not by a longshot. But it is the biggest thing in my life today. Tonight, when I am home with my wife and family, they will be my focus.

Tomorrow, there might be a different big rock. A family event, or a hobby, or another work challenge.

What are your big rocks? Are you finding a way to fit them in the jar?

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment