Thursday, May 5, 2011

Knowing What's Next

According to coach Michael Neill, most of the time, when we think about what's next, we think in terms of what we have now plus ten percent. Twenty percent if we're really thinking big.

When I buy a new computer, for example, I might think about the capabilities of my current machine, but more of them. More disk space, more RAM, a faster processor.

When I think about a new job, I might think about the same industry, but more responsibility and more money.

This is left-brained thinking. It assumes that tomorrow is basically just like today, only a little bit more (or maybe a little bit less).

Though I desperately want to believe that's true, every market correction, every natural disaster, every corporate purchase or merger or restructuring shows me this isn't the case. Life comes in fits and starts. It isn't linear.

And non-linear is the province of the right brain.

What's next? I don't know. But I do know that it's much more likely to be revealed to me through gut feel, through intuition, through synchronicity, than it is thorough assuming the upward-sloping line on the revenue chart is going to continue.

Jeff

(True footnote. As I was writing this, my wife discovered her wallet had been stolen, and we spent the better part of the evening calling our credit cards and bank accounts. We never know what's next. Ever.)

If you like these posts, please share by email, Facebook, or Twitter, using the buttons below.

No comments:

Post a Comment