Friday, March 19, 2010

The All Day Meeting

When we are mindful, we are focused on being present to what is happening in any given moment.

That’s a nice thought—to be able to say that I am right here. That I am tuned into what is happening, rather than my own interior dialogue.

Sometimes, though, I’m in a conference room all day, listening to presentations. And sometimes, I don’t want to be in that room. My mind wanders. I daydream. I plan vacations or write blog entries in my head.

One of the things that I like about nondual work is that it is remarkably forgiving of these transgressions.

We can be tempted to say “I should be more present. If I can’t focus on this moment, I am doing something wrong. I am not as far down the path as I should be. I should be better at this.”

But in nondual space, we accept exactly what is happening. And if “mind wandering” is our practice for the moment, so be it.

Simply put, we can’t be doing anything other that what we are doing. To think that we should be doing something different (or even that we could be doing something different) only increases our suffering.

If your mind is wandering, that’s OK. If you are frustrated, that’s OK. If you are tired, that’s OK. It’s just what’s happening.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment