Friday, February 26, 2010

Transitions

Today is my last day at an employer where I have spent the last 15 years.

There are mixed feelings. On the one hand, the organization is changing, and there is no longer the same kind of fit between what I am good at and what the organization wants to do. On the other hand, I have many close friends here and I will miss working with them every day.

Sometimes we like to think that to make a change, things have to be crystal clear. That the path has to be marked with neon arrows that say "This Way." But it seldom seems to work that way in real life.

Real life is messy. But we can acknowledge the sadness we feel in the endings at the same time that we feel the hope and excitement for the beginnings. And we can embrace, rather than run away from, the inherent uncertainty.

Here's to endings and beginnings.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment