Monday, February 8, 2010

Risk and Reward

I often read that we shouldn't get too attached to things we can't control. Like big snowstorms, for example.

But it seems like a lot of the things that we do in our lives are things where we have some control.

For example, our company is giving a conference in NY tomorrow. We are expecting 200 clients. I am supposed to be speaking. It is theoretically possible for me to get there, despite the aftermath of the snow. It would be difficult, but I might be able to pull it off. Yet I am deciding to stay here.

How do we make these decisions?

Our lizard brains are all about minimizing risk. But we also have a side that recognizes and drives toward reward. For me, the reward of going to New York is not worth the risk (having trouble, getting stuck, or having Jen and the kids have trouble while I am gone). Different situations might have a different result. But for now, I am here, doing the best I can from home.

How do we think about the risks and rewards in other areas of our life? When the risk is more about being laughed at than some kind of physical harm?

It can be very powerful to look at what we are afraid of, and see what the actual downside and actual upside really are.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment