Monday, July 12, 2010

Why Work?

Why do you work?

Most of us, unconsciously I think, have chosen our jobs based on maximizing income, given our particular training. Some of us are not making the absolute maximum we could, but we're still pretty close. And if we are in that camp, where maybe we are making ten percent less than we could have, we congratulate ourselves for being willing to make financial sacrifices for the sake of family or lifestyle. Or, less optimistically, for the illusion of safety or stability.

What if we chose our work differently? What if, instead of choosing a job that maximizes our income, we choose to maximize our joy? To do the things that we are passionate about? That bring us alive?

Can you even list three things that give you joy at work? I'm not sure I can. Joy happens, but I don't spend a lot of time cultivating it. I haven't studied joy the same way I have studied anger or fear or stress.

Maybe I should start.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment